NewsColony gives you all Recent Updates on Business, Politics, Relationship, Entertainment, Health Tips, Tech hints, and Many More News Around the world all on Newscolony.com
Search This Blog
The Papers: ‘Tougher lockdown’ warning and protect medics call
Image captionThe Observer leads with a warning from the prime minister that the coronavirus outbreak is likely to worsen and he is prepared to tighten the UK’s lockdown if necessary. The country’s 30 million households will receive a letter from Boris Johnson this week, which will also detail the government’s guidance on social distancing, symptoms and handwashing, the paper reports.Image captionThe Sunday Express says the prime minister’s “bleak message” came as the UK death toll rose above 1,000 on Saturday. In his letter, Mr Johnson emphasises the country is facing a “national emergency” and pleads with the public to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives, the paper reports.Image captionThe Sunday Telegraph also leads with the PM’s letter, quoting the prime minister as saying that the more “we all follow the rules”, the fewer lives will be lost and the sooner life can return to normal. The paper says there are fears the UK is following the course of Italy and Spain – the two worst affected European countries so far.Image captionThe Sunday Mirror calls for the UK to “protect our doctors and nurses” on its front page, alongside a photo of workers at London’s Excel centre, which is being turned into a temporary hospital. The paper says medics are pleading for more protective masks and gowns to stop them becoming “sitting ducks”. It quotes Dr Hisham El Khidir, cousin of one of the first UK doctors to die from the virus, saying more medics will lose their lives without better protection.Image captionThe government’s leading epidemiology adviser has warned the UK must remain in full lockdown until June if it is to avoid the worst effects of the coronavirus, the Sunday Times reports. Prof Neil Ferguson said even when the lockdown is lifted some measures would remain for months. But some senior government figures are more optimistic, suggesting restrictions could be lifted earlier, with the peak of the crisis predicted for the week of 12 April, the paper adds.Image captionThe Sunday People carries comments from NHS England medical director Stephen Powis, who has said that keeping the UK’s death toll below 20,000 would be a good result. But Prof Powis also warned that many more will die if the public do not stick to government guidance.Image captionMeanwhile, the Daily Star wants more support for waste collectors, who are calling for strict safety measures to protect them from the virus. “Don’t be rubbish to our bin men,” the paper tells its readers, urging the public to throw away less to keep services going.Image captionThe Mail on Sunday reports ministers and senior Downing Street officials are “furious” at how China has handled the outbreak and say the country risks becoming a “pariah state”. They believe China has run a “campaign of misinformation” and attempted to exploit the pandemic for economic gain, according to the paper.
Disabled people are still vulnerable, even as COVID-19 normalizes their ‘special’ needs NewsColony Perhaps it’s appropriate that public notices of the COVID-19 crisis began as an ableist cruelty. Health officials assured the nation that only the elderly and those with chronic health conditions would be seriously affected; most Americans (i.e., the normal people) would have only mild symptoms and be fine. x A friendly reminder: people who will be high-risk patients if we get coronavirus can hear you when you reassure everyone we’re the only ones who might die. â Alexandra Brodsky (@azbrodsky) February 29, 2020 Soon after the announcement of those assurances, the likelihood of high-risk people surviving was further limited by the people more likely to be fine. Shopping frenzies cleared stores of essential supplies needed everyday by many disabled people, like thermometers, hand wipes, masks, and IV infusion supplies. Accustomed to their needs ...
Harry and Meghan’s ‘£4million a year’ security bill for new life in California NewsColony Harry and Meghan have agreed to pay for the cost of their security personally, the Mail can reveal – which could cost them £4million a year. A spokesman for the couple confirmed last night that they had decided to meet the burden met by British taxpayers and fund the cost of their protection out of their own pockets after stepping down as senior working royals. Their security personnel will reportedly consist of former SAS soldiers at a cost of £400 per operative per day. Harry and Meghan have agreed to pay for the cost of their security personally, the Mail can reveal – which could cost them £4million a year Prince Charles will continue to pay for the upkeep of his son and daughter-in-law for the first 12 months of their new life out of his private funds, not the Duchy of Cornwall. But it is understood that this money will not be used for their protection. A Sussex s...
Comments
Post a Comment